Candidate Related FAQs

Additional FAQs

1. What do I have to do to be a candidate?

Depending on the election, candidates are required to file office specific nomination papers and/or be nominated at a party caucus. Prior to each filing period, candidate filing information is available on our website. Also, the State Board of Elections publishes a Candidate Guide that includes most of the required filing forms. The 2016 version can be used for the 2016 Primary and General Elections.

2016 Candidate Guide

2. How can I find election results?

Election results can be obtained election night, as soon as they are available, on our website. Also, past election results from 1936 to present are also posted on our website.

Before 1983, the only Election Results available are the Primary and General Election results. All local races such as cities, schools or townships were administered by the local government unit so all files such as results for those Elections are not on file with the County Clerk’s office.

3. How do I become a pollwatcher?

Pollwatchers must be registered to vote in the State of Illinois and possess valid credentials (signed by appropriate appointing authority). Every pollwatcher must surrender his credentials to the judges when he enters the polling place. Candidates, political parties, civic organizations, and organized proponents and opponents of a ballot proposition are appointing authorities for poll watchers.

For more information on being a pollwatcher, visit the pollwatcher information page.

4. How can I obtain lists or other information about registered voters?

The election office provides a variety of printed and electronic information to candidates including: Precinct Lists, Labels, Count Reports, past election results and more. You may call the office at (217) 854-3214.

5. How can I find out if I need to file campaign disclosure documents?

The Illinois Campaign Disclosure Act applies to all candidates for public office, groups of candidates or political action committees (PACs) who have accepted contributions or made expenditures in excess of $5,000 within a 12-month period, in support of or in opposition to (1) a candidate or candidates for public office, or (2) any question of public policy to be submitted to the voters. Once the threshold has been reached, the Act requires the committee to file campaign disclosure documents with the State Board of Elections. Specific questions about campaign disclosure should be directed to the State Board of Elections, Campaign Disclosure Department at (217) 782-4141. Additional important information regarding Campaign Disclosure can be found in the State Board of Election’s “A Guide to Campaign Disclosure”.